Monday, December 15, 2008
A few months ago, Brynn's dad has asked if Nick would adopt Brynn. We had asked before once, to which he said no. But a few months ago, he sent an e-mail saying that he knew it was the best thing for Brynn, and Nick was a good dad to her. We were going to start the adoption process, but then Nick got news that he was up for a promotion that could take us to another state. So we decided to wait (and are still waiting) to hear about what goes on with the job, before paying the court/home study fees only to have to start over in a different state.
Well, today, her dad sent a 'final' email of sorts explaining that he is now moving to California and to send him the adoption papers whenever they are ready.
It just felt like a final chapter of sorts and while Nick and I are thrilled that he will be her legal dad, it sure is bittersweet. Not that I ever regret breaking up with him, but 4 years ago, I never in a million years would have thought it would 'end' like this. I always envisioned both of us marrying other people, but staying friends. Going to Brynn's sports events and sitting together, chatting at school programs, etc.
The door is still always open to him to have a relationship with Brynn. I know it's whats best for her, to know that her loves her, and that he wants to know her...if he chooses that. Also, his family is a huge part of Brynn's life, and ours, and we love them all dearly, so that is going to stay the same.
I think it's been almost a year since Brynn has seen her dad, I think it was last March, so it's not like she will notice a change with him moving so far away, but there is something so final about it. Something that again, 5 years ago, I never would have guessed.
I don't think that he is a bad person in any way for wanting Nick to adopt her. I think he (like millions of moms/dads who give their children up for adoption) realize that someone else can be there for his child, in ways that he never can be. Truthfully, it's the most 'parent' thing he has ever done...putting Brynn's needs and well being above his own wants.
But it's still sad, and my prayer is that this will never affect Brynn negatively.
I will always be so thankful, SO thankful to him for giving me Brynn. She literally turned my life around and gave it meaning.

Labels: Brynn, R, step-parent adoption
0 comments:
Post a Comment